Mission In Action: Our Neighbor’s Place Returns November 2019
Our Neighbors’ Place returns to First Covenant for its 8th season for two sessions, November 20 – December 3 and January 2 – 15. The number of individuals seeking shelter during the cold winter months is significant. Last year we experienced record numbers during our two weeks of hosting in February when we sheltered an average of 65 guests per night.
As we approach the 2019 – 2020 season, we encourage you to find ways to support the shelter, as it takes a tremendous community effort to successfully host for two weeks.
Ways to get involved are as follows:
- Volunteer for a shift. Three shifts need to be covered each night including; 7:00 – 11:00 pm, 11:00 pm – 3:00 am and 3:00 – 7:00 am. Contact Dale Sweet to volunteer.
- Prepare and serve a meal for 50-60 guests. It doesn’t need to be fancy. Gather a small group of family, friends, a committee you serve on, a small group you participate in, or a church board you serve on and prepare a meal. The meal is served at 8:00 p.m. each evening. Contact Pat Tracy to schedule a meal.
- Donate needed food and toiletries. The Giving Tree will be up toward the end of the October. Please take a tag or two or three.
- Donate gently used CLEAN clothing. Clothing items are needed, but only specific items and although we can use some women’s clothing, mostly clothing for men is needed such as: blue jeans in good condition (we particularly need smaller waist sizes), sweatshirts and sweaters, winter coats, winter gloves for men, and winter boots suitable for walking miles each day. Please label all clothing donations for Pat Tracy and leave them in the church office.
- Volunteer to help set-up and tear down the shelters on Wednesday, November 20 and Wednesday, December 4. Please contact Dale Sweet.
- Pray for this Mission In Action ministry.
- Contribute financially to this ministry.
Dale and Pat are grateful for the many people who have supported Our Neighbors’ Place in the past and encourage you to get involved in a new way this season. To contact Pat Tracy, call 814-864-6118 or email her at [email protected].
Joy and peace, Dale and Pat