Our new reality is challenging all of us as we follow state of emergency and stay-at-home orders. We are being challenged to be ‘the church’ under very extreme circumstances. Even so, new and creative ideas are making it possible to demonstrate our concern and care for others.
Ways We Are Responding: On this page you’ll find ways to connect with other people, show your concern and how to stay connected with each other. This list will be regularly updated, so you might want to return to this page often.
First Covenant Church Office: The First Covenant church office is not closed. However, staff are mostly working from home, where possible. A ministry staff person can be reached in the office each weekday Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. The building is closed to all meetings, gatherings, events until further notice. The church is working with community partners to address needs and concerns as they arise. You can call the church office at 814.456.4243 or email [email protected]
Hospitals, Nursing Homes & Shut-ins: All hospitals and nursing homes are under locked down orders and no visitors are allowed until further notice. Reach out and minister to those in these circumstances.
- UPMC Hamot and Saint Vincent/Allegheny Health Network have asked that we do not send hospital visitors at this time. Both have e-card systems set up:
- St. Vincent/Allegheny Health Network: https://www.ahn.org/send-e-card
- UPMC Hamot: https://ecards.upmc.com/
- Asbury Springhill: This facility has asked that we send cards/letters and encouragement to their residents. All correspondence can be marked Attn: Katie Mackenzie, Director of Resident Life, Asbury Springhill, 2323 Edinboro Road, Erie PA 16509.
- Remember our shut-ins with a card during “no visitations”. Call the church office for a list.
Weekly Sunday worship: Join us for weekly Sunday worship on Facebook LIVE at 11 a.m. Go to the bulletin section of this website to download the weekly bulletin before service begins.
Holy Week Schedule – All services live streamed on Facebook LIVE:
- Palm Sunday 4/5, 11:00 a.m. – includes remote communion – Gather “bread” and “cup” now at home.
- Maundy Thursday 4/9, 6:30 p.m. – with remote communion-Gather “bread” and “cup” now at home.
- Good Friday 4/10, 6:30 p.m. – Tenebrae (diminishing light) with Passion texts and hymns.
- Easter Sunday 4/12, 11 a.m. – festival service with organ and brass.
Bible Study: Join our weekly Bible study on Facebook LIVE on Wednesdays at 12 noon with Rev. Britney Knight.
Faith Formation for Children/Youth: Send your email to [email protected]
Sunday Supper – Now Take-Out Only: For more than five years, the First Covenant Sunday Supper ministry has provided sit-down meals in Knox Hall every Sunday from 4:00 p.m to 6:00 p.m. Now the coronavirus pandemic means there are no longer any dine-in meals. However, this ministry has adopted to these challenging times and is serving TAKE-OUT ONLY meals on Sunday from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Knox Hall.
Sunday Supper needs help for Easter Sunday:
- Desserts, to be brought to the church at 2:30 on Easter Sunday, are needed. Small clam shell takeout boxes will be used so any type of dessert will work.
- About five volunteers are needed to serve the meal. Nobody will not come in contact with guests as we will practice social distancing, and face masks and gloves will be provided. This is for healthy individuals. Nobody in healthier risk categories. Please arrive at 3:00, entering the church via the external stairwell on the west side of the building just before the playground.
If you can help in either of these ways, please contact Pat Tracy at 864-6118 or [email protected].
Potty Ministry: Porta-potties were placed in the parking lot by EUMA for our neighbors without homes.
Remember our “front line” workers: grocery store employees, doctors and nurses, pharmacists, truckers, garbage collectors, letter carriers, police, firefighters, the U.S. President, PA Governor, Erie County Executive, Erie’s mayor, City Hall workers, Erie County Health Dept., news reporters —and more. They are under tremendous pressures. Why not mail them a thank you?
Do we have your current e-mail address? Updates & worship bulletins are being e-mailed weekly.Submit your email address, prayer request, suggestion or question to [email protected]
Regularly Check the church website: www.firstcovenanterie.org Marsha MacKinnon is updating it regularly. You’ll also find a sermon audio archive, Facebook LIVE video of services and worship bulletins.
The Youth Mission Trip (June) is postponed until further notice. Deposits on hold. Details to come.