First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant loves college students!
The purpose of our college ministry is to welcome and engage college students from nearby schools. We provide opportunities for spiritual growth and are partnered (45+ years!) directly with Gannon University Campus Ministry.
Campus Ministry at First Covenant includes:
- Kirk House (faith-based) student housing
- Providing meeting/kitchen space for campus groups (fraternities, sororities, pep band, international students, etc.)
- Service opportunities with Our Neighbors’ Place winter emergency overflow shelter, Sunday Suppers weekly neighborhood dinners, Gannon G.I.V.E. Day, Day of Caring
- Once a month home-cooked dinners (September-April)
- Opportunities to serve as youth leaders, ushers, praise band members, “night host” paid staff positions
- Back-to-School Cook Out for Gannon students at the Kirk House
- “TGIF (Thank God, Its Franks)” grilling and serving hot dogs and water on Friday nights (10 p.m. to midnight) in September & October
- Overnight Finals Study Space (9 p.m. to 9 a.m.) for Gannon students prior to and during Fall and Spring finals
- “Back to the Grind” hot beverages and pastries shared with students, faculty and workers on their way to class or work on a Monday and Tuesday morning each January, February and March.
- Welcome transportation for newly arriving international students
- Gannon ESL conversation partners, orientation
- Bible studies and faith formation opportunities
About the “Kirk House”…
“Kirk” is a Scottish word for “church”. So the “Kirk House” is the “Church House”. It is a church-supplied, faith-based community living house for Gannon students. Residents are challenged to discover what it looks like to follow Jesus in every area of life: from studying to friendships to washing dishes. The Kirk House is the perfect place for students to build relationships with other students, neighbors, and the church family!
The Kirk House is an attractive, brick and river stone “arts and crafts style” home located next to the church, at the corner of 7th and Myrtle. It shares a yard with the preschool & community playground! There’s space for 8-10 student residents. The church has hosted Gannon students in this home for nearly 50 years.
The Kirk House welcomes students from different faith backgrounds and walks of life. Anyone willing to participate fully and be open to conversations about spirituality and faith is encouraged to check out the Kirk House! Students fill out an application detailing their commitments on campus, their faith experiences and why they want to join an intentional faith community. The director of the house reviews applications then meets with applicants for an interview. Once an applicant is deemed a positive addition to the community they are extended an invitation to live in the Kirk House.
Kirk House residents participate in 10 hours of house events a week. This includes being a part of a local church, cleaning, meeting, weekly prayer/bible study, one-on-ones with the director, and occasional meals. The Kirk House is co-ed with separate women’s and men’s halls. One low monthly payment covers rent, all utilities, internet, and a parking permit for the church lot. 9-month leases. Summer monthly rentals. Sound like something you are interested in (even if mid-year)? Want to visit and tour the Kirk House? Contact Seph Kumer at [email protected] .
First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant is located in the middle of the Gannon University campus in downtown Erie, between the school’s residential and academic buildings.
How to support our College and Young Adult Ministries:
- Pray for students, professors, staff, campus ministers
- Join the Campus Ministry Committee
- Provide tasty home-cooked (or store bought) treats for overnight “Study Space”
- Volunteer for any campus ministry events advertised in the church monthly newsletter or weekly worship bulletin
- Support Kirk House events – provide a meal for the students living in the house or volunteer to help out at the Kirk House Cook Out, Annul Clean-Up Day, etc.
- Welcome and engage students attending worship
- Attend events on Gannon’s campus
For more information contact Seph Kumer in the church office at 814-456-4243.