Become Engaged in Mission & Ministry…
First Covenant is engaged in numerous programs, projects, missions and ministries on our campus and in our West Bayfront neighborhood with our community partners that include Gannon University. Many of these missions and ministries are regularly profiled on the home page and throughout this website. Look for the title “Mission In Action,” to learn more about each ministry. So what does that mean?
Under the umbrella of Community Engagement, there are numerous efforts that are not only ongoing, but also continually evolving, on our campus, in our neighborhood and in the Erie community to bring people together, to support each other and to make our church, neighborhood and city inclusive and welcoming for all people. These efforts offer numerous volunteer opportunities through First Covenant to experience community engagement first hand.
Every month and throughout the calendar year, there are several ways in which “to experience engagement in the community.” This isn’t just about sharing your time, talent and treasure – this is about making a contribution to our community that has profound impacts. Living out the Gospel to “love thy neighbor” is demonstrated through action. Mission In Action at First Covenant, along with our partners in our West Bayfront Neighborhood and downtown Erie, is showing how we are living the Gospel.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of our missions and ministries, contact Seph Kumer, Director of Community Engagement at 814-456-4243 or Seph.Kumer@firstcovenanterie.org.
On A Mission To Do Lunch: Each month a combined team of FPCC folks and Gannon international students come together to prepare and serve lunch to 100 or more neighbors at the Erie City Mission on French Street in downtown Erie. Volunteers are always appreciated. First Covenant gathers a team and serves lunch on the first Thursday of the every month. If you can help out with this Mission In Action, contact Linda Holmes at 814-825-3889.
There are numerous Community Engagement opportunities throughout the year, volunteers are needed to serve in various capacities with First Covenant and our community partners.
Here are just a few of the things that are happening at FPCC…Go to Weekly Announcement tab on the top menu bar to see what’s coming up!
- Back to the Grind – Free coffee and pastries to those going to class or to work Tuesday mornings – Fall 2020.
- Annual Covenant Block Party – Picnic style barbecue for friends and neighbors in the Covenant parking lot. August date: TBA
- Erie County Crop – Hunger Walk – Annual fundraising walk in September at Presque Isle State Park
- Habitat for Humanity – Annual summer Faith Build
- National Night Out – Held in August. Date TBA.
- Neighborhood Movie Nights – Covenant parking lot. Summer dates: TBA
- Our Neighbor’s Place – Covenant is a participating overnight shelter for those without homes from November through March
- Our West Bayfront Thanksgiving – Dinner for nearly 400 people at the Martin Luther King Center. November date: TBA
- StudySpace at Covenant – Covenant invites students to use our space to study for finals. TBA
- Sunday Supper at Covenant – Weekly Sunday meal prepared and served to those who are food insecure in our community
- TGIF -Thank God it’s Franks -Covenant Campus ministry meets ‘n greets Gannon students on with hot dogs on Friday nights in Sep/Oct. TBA