Learn – Pray -Do-Together
Learn – Pray – Do – Together: This is the theme for the kick-off for our new programming year at First Covenant beginning after Labor Day weekend. Learn: Find an opportunity to grow in your understanding of the Bible and God’s call on your life. The opportunities include: Sunday Faith Formation, Wednesday Covenant Connections, Bible studies and small groups start up again in September. Pray: Make Sunday morning worship a priority. The church offers so many ways to serve God by serving others including Sunday Suppers, Our Neighbors’ Place, outreach ministries with Gannon University students, blood drives, children and youth, and music plus many more. Together: A church of one would be boring. A church of many gives us the chance to become a family, a faith community. God grows and stretches us through community! We’re never alone!
Learn – Pray -Do – Together!”
Worship Times are now Sundays at 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Faith Formation Classes begin at 9:30 a.m. Sunday mornings
- Covenant Connections – join us for dinner at 5:15 p.m. in Knox Hall and then a programming event at 6:15 p.m.
- Jr. Ringers – While at Covenant Connections enjoy the Junior Ringers at 6:00 p.m.
- Youth Group/Music – The youth group meets Sunday afternoons at 4:30 p.m.
- Covenant Choir/Bells – The Covenant Choir rehearses on Thursdays at 7:15 pm in the Music Room. The Covenant Bells rehearses at 6:30 p.m. on Thursdays in the Sanctuary. New members welcome!
Children & Youth Faith Formation
What faith practices are important for transformation? What faith practices can we explore together in community? Come and find out! Also, check out this year’s Faith Formation Classes for all ages:
Pre-K through 5th Grade: Children will be singing, baking, experimenting, and crafting their way through the Bible starting with Genesis. Join us every Sunday during Faith Formation hour (9:30-10:30 AM) in the Jr. High Lounge on the 3rd Floor.
6th Grade-8th Grade: Youth will experience hands-on investigative learning that leads to deep engagement with the Bible, faith, and what it means to be a Christian through CoLABorate Bible Study focusing on the New Testament. Join us in the Third Floor Lounge!
9th Grade-College: Youth and Young Adults will be participating in lively discussion with the new TBD (Think. Believe. Do.) Curriculum.
Youth Group – 6th to 12th Grade: Join us every Sunday from 4:30-6:30 p.m.in the Third Floor Lounge. We will be having a meal, as a group every Sunday, so don’t worry about grabbing dinner before you come!
Adult Faith Formation on Sunday 9:30-10:30 a.m.
“Future Faith” – (Room 116) Join Rob Baker’s faith formation class, (still looked at as the book discussion class). Last years’ book was thick and written by a university professor and information dense. This year’s book Future Faith is much lighter reading and written by a pastor and administrative leader in the re-formed church of America. He focuses on current and upcoming challenges facing the US church in light of recent global changes in demographics of the world wide church. Rob expects this book to present much more discussion opportunities and there is an author provided discussion guide already included in the book. There will be a notebook provided for class with supplemental materials and an ongoing connection to recent religious news through the Pew foundation’s religion news updates some of which will show up as handouts for class.
Pastor’s Class – (Fidelis Room) Pastor Chris will be teaching on the parables in his faith formation class this fall. During Advent we will switch to a series called “The Advent Conspiracy.” This class is not about how much or how little you know, but about asking questions and growing in faith. All are welcome!
“Daniel and Us” – (Room 313) Can a book written about Jews in captivity over 2500 years ago really have anything to teach us today? More than you might suspect. For starters, would you turn down the best food in the kingdom from the king’s own table? Join Bill Holmes on the 3rd floor during the Faith Formation Hour starting on September 16 to find out.
- Small Groups During the Week
Wednesday Morning Bible Study – (Library) We will finish our journey through First and Second Kings when Britney Knight returns in October. This class is at 10:30-11:30 a.m. every Wednesday beginning sometime in October. Start date TBA.
- Wine & the Word – The ladies of Wine & The Word meet at the Cathedral of St. Paul from 7:00-9:00 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. The group is now discussing Executing Grace: How the Death Penalty Killed Jesus and Why It’s Killing Us by Shane Claiborne. Books are available in the church office for $12.00.
- Men’s Morning Group: The Friday Morning Men’s Group is studying “Learning to Speak God from Scratch.” This book study challenges readers to find new ways to express Christian faith basics. The group meets in the First Covenant Parlor at 7:00 a.m. on Friday mornings. All men are welcome to join this group.