“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Our Neighbors’ Place, overflow shelter for those without homes, begins the 2017-2018 season on November 22 and continues through December 5 in Knox Hall at First Covenant. It is hard to believe we are beginning year six of this outreach ministry and we are so very thankful for all of the congregational support that has been given in the past.
As preparations begin for another opportunity to help those in need, there are several ways you can be involved in this ministry:
- Pray for the Ministry
- Offer Financial Support
- Volunteer Hosts Needed: Volunteer for a four hour shift (7:00 – 11:00 p.m., 11:00 p.m. – 3:00 a.m., 3:00 – 7:00 a.m.) Dale Sweet is organizing the volunteer schedule and can be reached at 814-898-3417 or [email protected]
- Meal Prep ‘n Serve Volunteers: Prepare and serve a meal for 50 guests. Reach out to Pat Tracy as she is scheduling volunteers for meals. Contact Pat at 814-864-6118 or [email protected]
- Set-Up and Tear-Down Volunteers: Volunteer for set up on November 22 and/or tear down on December 6 from 8:00 a.m. – 12 noon. Both men and women are needed for moving cots, organizing the kitchen and toiletries. Sign-up with Dale Sweet.
- Purchase Needed Items from the Giving Trees: Trees will go up in October. The trees contain tags with needed items to run the Overflow Shelter. You are asked to take a tag and purchase the item. Items can be placed in the bins at the “T” in the hall. Please note that refrigerated items are date sensitive and appropriate dates are on the tree tags.
- Donate Gently Used Coats, Hats, Scarves and Gloves: We are reducing the clothing given away because much of it is left on the racks or left behind when guests accumulate more than they can carry with them.
- Set-Up Clothing Room: A volunteer or two are needed to set-up the clothing area in the Discovery Room on Monday, November 20 from 12 noon to 4:00 p.m. Sign- Up with Pat Tracy. Please consider purchasing new men’s boxers as they are always needed.
One or two people cannot make this a successful ministry, but this congregation, working together with everyone doing what they can, can create a powerful outreach ministry to show Christ’s love to those in need.
We look forward to partnering in ministry with you.
Joy and peace,
~ Dale & Pat
First Covenant will host Our Neighbor’s Place again March 14 through March 21, 2018. In addition, the Greater Erie United Methodists will host two sessions at First Covenant; January 3 through January 24, 2018 and again March 21 through March 28, 2018. This ministry is for our neighbor’s in downtown Erie who would otherwise not have a place to stay for the night except out in the cold.