The First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant: The Caring Church in the Heart of the City
Our Mission at First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant is: To awaken all people to our need for a life-changing encounter with the living Lord Jesus Christ, and encourage and equip each one to become His fully-devoted follower.
First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant requires that face masks be worn at all times even for those who are fully vaccinated.
- Starting Sunday, September 12 the 8:30 a.m. chapel service will resume. In addition, the summer 10:00 a.m. worship service returns to its regular time of 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings in the sanctuary. Livestreaming will continue on Facebook Live during the 11:00 a.m. worship service. Go to this link www.Facebook.com/FirstCovenantErie/
- Beginning September 12, Fall Faith Formation classes resume on Sundays from 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Children & Youth:
- Pre-K-4th Grade: Children will enjoy hands-on learning as they read through the whole Bible this year. During faith formation hour, children will enjoy free-play, experiments, cooking, art, games and more as they are introduced to the story for the day. Then, in Kids’ Church during the 11 a.m. service, they will explore the story deeper with questions, discussions, and prayer PLUS play chimes with Mr. Service every Sunday!
- 5th-8th Grade: Our middle school-aged youth will gather in one of the rooms off the Senior High Lounge on the Third Floor. Their discussions will center around the curriculum Echo the Story, a DVD curriculum based around journaling the Bible stories, hearing them differently, and sharing their thoughts with one another.
- 9th-12th Grade: Our high school-aged youth will gather in one of the rooms off the Senior High Lounge on the third floor. Their discussions will center around the curriculum Re: Form Ancestors, a DVD/workbook curriculum that explores the crazy, imperfect, at times unlovable people from the Old and New Testaments and ask the question: How am I like them? How is God working through me?
- Confirmation Class: Pastor Britney will start a confirmation class for those entering 8th, 9th, and 10th grade including those who did not get to finish in 2020. Confirmation Class will meet 2 times each month beginning in October through May. Students will be confirmed in early June during worship. . If your student are entering Grades 8th, 9th, or 10th and would like to participate, please let Pastor Britney know by September 19.
- Themes From the Psalms with Elder Bill Holmes (room 313): Many of us can recite the 23rd Psalm from memory. Some can quote at least portions of several others. But there are so many more, well over 100 more, that cover the spectrum of human moods, experiences, and emotions. Collectively they catch the reality of our up and down relationship with God, help us express thoughts and emotions that we might not have words for or feel quite right about, and move us steadily along the path of knowing God.
- Faith Discussion with Rob Baker (room 116): We will be looking at Native American Christianity, its culture and history regarding decolonization and integrating Indigenous spirituality and ritual into modern Christian worship. Discussions will be centered around the Richard Twiss book, ‘Rescuing the Gospel from the Cowboys,’ along with study of familiar Biblical passages from the First Nations Version of the New Testament.
- Pastors’ Class: Join Pastors Chris Weichman and Britney Knight (Fidelis Room) as they explore the Bible beginning to end. Most Sundays, teaching and discussion will focus around the sermon text for the day. However, on other Sundays, we will have guest teachers and lecturers.
- Youth Group (Grades 6th-12th): Youth are invited to fellowship on the 2nd and 4th Sunday nights of each month from 5-7:30 p.m. From 5-6, those interested in music with Mr. Service will ring bells, and when it is safe to do so, they will resume choir as well. From 6-7:30, all youth are invited to share a meal together, play games, have discussion, and more!
- Women & The Word: We meet in-person every Tuesday beginning September 14 at 7 p.m. in the Parlor. For all women ages 18+, this is a phenomenal group of multi generational women who gather weekly to study the Word, ask questions, deepen their faith, and learn from one another.
- Wednesday Morning Bible Study: Every Wednesday from 10:30-11:30 a.m., this group meets in Room 116. There is an online Zoom option available as well at the same time. Every person welcome!
- Wednesday Facebook Live Bible Study: This is available every Wednesday at noon. Hosted by the pastors and focused on a study of the upcoming sermon text.
- Men’s Bible Study: Every other Thursday morning from 7:30-8:00 a.m. with Pastor Chris and several other men join over Zoom for a short study of passage, reflection, sharing of concerns, and prayer. Once a quarter, this group meets for breakfast at Eat n’ Park. For more details, email email@example.com
- Listen to any past Sunday sermon on this website by going to the worship section then sermon archive, go to this page https://firstcovenanterie.org/publications/audio/
- Watch any past worship service on this website, go to Worship, then videos on Facebook Live or YouTube in the menu.
- The Sunday Supper ministry is offering take-out only meals from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Sundays until further notice. Those who are fully vaccinated may dine-in.
- If you need to reach Pastor Chris Weichman, he is in the office on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- The First Covenant church office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30-5 p.m. You can call the church office at 814.456.4243 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The First Covenant LIVE church calendar is updated constantly. If you have a smart phone or a computer, you can check it out here: http://tiny.cc/uhf7nz or click the link at the bottom of the home page.
- If you have any questions about our church, or would like additional information about any of our ministries, please click here. Click here for a Street Map that shows the location of First Presbyterian Church of the Covenant in downtown Erie. Click here to view the floor plans of our church building. Click here if you would like information on scheduling a wedding.
Should you have any questions at this time, email the church office at email@example.com